We’re watching the episode of Good Eats where Alton Brown shares the foods that helped him lose 50 lbs in 9 months. We trust Alton Brown. He feeds our culinary souls. So, here we go with the notes.
Apparently its not about a diet, but a dieata (way of life in Greek).
Energy dense foods (candy, alcohol, baked goods etc.) have a lot of energy(calories) and if you don’t use that energy then they’ll find a place to go (your butt).
ex: an orange is nutrient dense vs. energy dense.
Goal: increase nutrition to energy ratio.
List 1: Foods to eat every day.
- whole grains
- leafy greens
- green tea
List 2: Foods to eat 3x a week
- oily fish
- sweet potato
List 3: 1 x a week
- red meat
- all desserts
Do Not Eat
- fast food
- processed meals
- canned soups
- “diet” anything
Rule: Eat breakfast everyday, no exceptions
- The presence of purple predicts anthocyanins which possess antioxidant powers, that seep damaged matter from the body.
- 1/2 of smoothies mass should come from liquid. Protein should be present as well (soy milk- low fat, enriched with protien and vitamin b12, protein power i assume).
- Frozen Fruit:banana, blue berries/blackberries, strawberries, orange or yellow (peaches/mangoes/pineapple)
- A good blender is: Relatively heavy, square shaped, plastic, base will be fixed. the lid should be heavy and firm fitted. The engine should have a variable speed control. Make sure model comes with a plunger.
- 24 oz is an appropriate smoothie size (4 oz of each of the 6 components…weight them to know). Start with the liquids. Cut up the bananas.
- Assemble at night so that the food will thaw by the morning.
- speed: lowest turn on power and boost speed to 1/3 power when it looks like more of a liquid then boost the speed a little to keep the blade from getting bound up in a bubble (increase speed slowly).
Brisling (aka sardines) : canned little fish, packed with protein and omega 3 fatty acids which are good for the heart. Their bones are edible and are high in calcium (good at help the body prevent from stacking on fat). buy the kind packed in olive oil (drain before consuming) eat with chopsticks to promote slower eating. A good snack to keep on hand!
Tasty treat: Sherry Sardine Toast (Thanks food network!) Good for breakfast lunch or dinner. (I love the advocating of eating avocado. So good sooooo good).
Snack: Toasted Ginger Almonds Eat 1 oz once or twice a day.
Stay disciplined. Create a visual reminder or your progress.
Alton Brown is a genius. Here is an article by Weight Maven that is pretty good as well.